Sunday, June 4, 2006

On feeling out of place

So, before my mom died, I actually had one more K'zoo post drafted and was intending to put it up right after the others. Then things fell apart and now it seems rather untimely, but it's actually on a general enough theme -- it's a "who am I and where do I belong?" piece -- that when I get a chance, I can edit it a little bit and still post it.

In the meantime, I just remembered something funny that my friend D. said to me once on a similar theme, specifically on moving from a fancy-pants grad program to a rather humble comprehensive university. Here are his words, with the institution names changed to protect the innocent:

At Fancy Flagship U. I felt like Rob Lowe in St. Elmo's Fire, while at Regional Comprehensive U. I feel like Kevin Bacon in Footloose.
Te-hee!

1 comment:

Dr. Virago said...

Note to Laila (and family):

Thank you for your sweet and thoughtful comment. Unfortunately I had to delete it because it revealed my name. Most of my regular readers know it by now, but I still want to keep those out of the know out of it.

Just so you know.