Thursday, November 17, 2005

In memoriam

Today is the 3rd anniversary of my sister's death from breast cancer. Her real name actually started with a V, so in keeping with the V theme I'll call her Ms. V. (In case you missed it, I decided to call my oldest sister Virgo Sis.) Anyway, Ms. V., were she alive, would probably remind you women out there to do your self breast exams and get mammograms when necessary. So do so. (Of course, were she alive, she'd also be smoking like a chimney, so do as she says, not as she does. She'd also say that.) [Updated to add: And given that today is also the Great American Smokeout, you should definitely do as she said and not as she did.]

Ms. V's favorite libation was beer, so tonight I'll raise a glass and drink a beer to her memory.

Here's to you, Ms. V. Cheers.

7 comments:

La Lecturess said...

I'm so sorry, Dr. V. I wish I had a beer here to toast along with you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I'm glad you can toast her memory - lacking the beer, I'll eat some cookies in her honor.

Anonymous said...

I'll cry a little and have a glass of wine.

Ancrene Wiseass said...

I'll have a Talisker on the rocks in her honor.

And, as you know, I don't break out the Talisker for just anybody.

Dr. Virago said...

Fast Fizzy, you break my heart! That's exactly what I ended up doing, too. The Boyfriend didn't have any beer, which is unusual for him, but I had a nice shiraz.

And thanks everyone for your thoughts and your drinks and/or cookies. (She would've approved of all of the above, btw.)

Anonymous said...

I can't drink beer or eat cookies, so I had popcorn at "Good Night and Good Luck." Ms. V would have liked it.

And I cried, but not at the movie. It was remarkably un-upsetting since today's pack of jackals makes McCarthy look like an amateur.

Thanks for your lovely tribute. And now, since Ms. V would have approved, and because this morning's positive medical results mean I have to do something meaningful, I may just run for Congress. (Then I will blog!)

nlwpbx - new left wing telephone system

Dr. Virago said...

I can't drink beer or eat cookies

Doh -- I didn't mean to discriminate (however virtually) against your gluten intolerance, Virgo Sis! You can share my shiraz with me (virtually, of course).

I think you *should* run for congress. But in that case, you might not want to blog after all!

dxuhai -- a duck's reason for living?