Monday, March 12, 2007

Endurance editing

It's a good thing I'm marathoner, used to pushing through exhaustion to get through that last stretch of miles, because that's how I feel about correcting my book proofs and writing my index. It's like I've got 3 miles left to go and it's all I can do to keep one foot moving in front of the other, or in this case, not to get all glassy-eyed.

  • Miles 1-23 = Correcting the proofs and drafting the index -- DONE!
  • Miles 24-26.2 = Editing, polishing, and formatting the index -- still chugging along.
Of course, a marathon only takes me 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours (depending on how well I've trained). I've been working on the damn book stuff for about a total of 50 hours now over the course of the last 7 days. And my back and legs are just about as sore as after a marathon as a result. (Or maybe that's the result of my 20-mile training run yesterday. Who can tell at this point?)

I've got until Friday to finish up, but I've also got teaching -- oh yeah, that! -- grading (sigh), and grad director stuff galore this week. So send me some virtual "You can do it!" and "Almost there!" and "Looking great!"* cheers this week. And be patient with me if blogging is light for about the next week.


*Yes, people really call this last one out to marathoners in the last few miles and it never sounds sincere. In a good race it makes me laugh [ETA: because I wouldn't call dried sweat-salt on my face, visible chafing, and a plodding run "looking great"]. If I'm having a bad race, it makes me want to punch whoever is saying it. [ETA: But I wouldn't do that, of course. I know they mean well, even if I look like crap and feel miserable. Though it would be funny if someone shouted, "You look like hell but hey, you've just run 23 miles!" Te-hee.]

13 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Umm, so should we encourage you, or will you come punch us if we say anything encouraging?

You could consider that it's nicer to shout encouraging-if-cheesy things to marathoners than letting rabid dogs out after them, even though the latter might be more motivational to one's speed.

So anyway, have a virtual cup of water!

I'm holding the pooch in reserve right now.

Dr. Virago said...

Sorry Sisyphus, the desire to punch the cheering folks was supposed to say more about my piss-poor mental (and physical) state in a bad race than about the cheering folks themselves. They certainly *mean* well and don't at all deserve my glowering thoughts.

And yes, much better than rabid dogs. Although I would laugh heartily and run faster, perhaps, if someone held a sign that says, "Sure, you feel like crap now, but just think about crossing the finish line!"

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You can do it!

Almost there!!

You look like hell, but YOU'VE GOT A BOOK, BABY!!!!!

:)

Way to go, Dr. V

Dr. Virago said...

That's the spirit, Medieval Woman! :) (Seriously, I *do* look like hell. Good thing there's teaching tomorrow to make me shower and look presentable!)

Sisyphus said...

"Sure, you feel like crap now, but just think about crossing the finish line!"

Someone should follow behind all ABDs in the throes of dissertating with a big sign that states this!

Dr. Virago said...

Sisyphus - Ha! Yes! In fact, when I ran the 2000 LA Marathon, Honda, the major sponsor, had an ad on the back of the race program that said something along the lines of "It's like getting a Ph.D...." I have to say, I agreed! I almost framed that ad copy with my finisher's picture and medal!

Self-Congratulator said...

This is all just so-damn-cool!!! Academic life is like a marathon. Or maybe I hope it isn't. I've never been able to make it more than 10k. Does that mean I'll get turned down at my 3rd-year pre-tenure review? I'm more like a spectator than an athlete (sad to say--although I'm not SO overweight. Just a bit. Too many doritos late night as I'm sipping my single malt). And rather than horses (a bit too hoity-toity for me) I prefer the Greyhounds. I love having a dog in the race--I can even kind of identify, even if I don't have that much money placed on any single contest!

That's a bit off topic. But I really commend you for all your efforts, and for sharing the "thrill of victory." Let's hope there's no "agony of defeat" for you--ever--in your career.

Anonymous said...

Start Sprinting!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, you can do it! Looking good!;)

Jarod said...

That is exciting! You are Prometheus on the rock, pained, mocked by proofs and formatting. Yet you brow ahead, fighting undaunted against the last hold-out of vicious and unforgiving text. You are the final arrows at Crecy, Quod She - Fight on! Fight on!

The Constructivist said...

gambare, gambare, Dr. V! [repeat until done]

The Constructivist said...

Oh, and take no notice that Berube is back blogging at Pandagon and Crooked Timber on the weekends and the WAAGNFNP is coming until after you've finished....