Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Where have all the crazy students gone?

Sing it with me now, campers: "Lonnnnnggggg time passing."

Oh, wait, I'm not suppose to be mournful and elegaic about my lack of crazy students this semester. I'm supposed to be *glad*. OK, then: woo-hoo! Seriously, it does make it easier to stick to my "I won't complain about my students" policy on this blog. So if you're wondering if I'm just really restrained in not bitching, then the answer to that is no, not really. It's just that I'm actually really freakin' lucky this semester not to have (so far -- KNOCK WOOD) any problem students. Then again, I have less meaty stuff to blog about -- hence the slightly mournful opening.

So in the meantime, my heart goes out to poor Ancrene Wiseass and Bardiac, who've just each had interactions with students that make me think, "NO. They did NOT just say/write that! Really? Seriously? Holy shit."

And also, poor Victorianist Colleague (from now on she shall be called simply Victoria; and Miltonist Colleague will be Milton). It seems the reason why I'm crazy-free is that she's stuck with them all. And all in one class, no less. But her stories are not mine to share, alas.

I am still planning to write about meeting with Rare Books Librarian and how I have become a collector extraordinaire of worthless scraps of vellum, but that's not nearly as colorful as crazy and/or sense-deprived students.

2 comments:

Ancrene Wiseass said...

I think vellum and Rare Books Librarians are fascinating! I wanna know what happened!

And thanks for the sympathy.

Bardiac said...

I LOVE the sensual experience of old texts, smelling them, feeling then, looking at the ways the ink "takes" into the substrate.

Let's hear about Velium!

(And I'll second on the thanks for the sympathy, though it would be better if you'd let me send him to you for further consultation!)