Friday, January 27, 2006

For your reading pleasure: Bérubé on academic freedom

Probably everyone who reads my blog already reads Michael Bérubé, but just in case you haven't been there yet today, he has assigned this weekend's "homework" reading: a fantastic, 5000-word post on academic freedom. Since I seem to be unable to manage my time well enough to do a substantive post on anything myself, I'm sending you there.

Btw, you might notice that the first link he has (wherein he claims he does not read "at a 'lightening pace,' as some people claim") I am the "some people." But that's not why I'm sending you there. I mean, if I wanted you to end up back here, why would I send you away? Besides, as Boyfriend points out, he's just mocking me. [Edited to add: perhaps "ribbing" is a better word here than "mocking."] Or rather, since the link he gives (which I've now repeated here) is all about him -- in fact, the post title in question is "Go to Bérubé's blog right now" -- he's not leading anyone to anything I have to say, really, but just to more of him. And since my link to him leads you to a link back to me which leads you to a link all about him maybe it was all about Bérubé anyway.

Let's face it: we are all Bérubé's puppets. Now what are you still doing here -- you have a reading assignment! Bérubé speaks; you listen!

4 comments:

MT said...

I so don't read at a lightning pace that I don't read Berube. His posts are too long. I read one once and that's why I no longer have time to find those special characters you need to spell foreign names. Hear that, Berube! That's minus one reader for you! Let's have some pith, man!

Dr. Virago said...

Hee! You know, the post in question has a link to an audio file of the talk it's based on, so you *could* listen to it if you were so inclined, but that would take even longer, I guess. Still, you could dust or fold laundry or something at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Hear that, Berube! That's minus one reader for you! Let's have some pith, man!

I can do pith. In fact, I can get really pithy sometimes.

And I was so not mocking the good Dr. V., even though she speaks really quickly. I will confess, though, that I thought it was mildly funny to link to a post whose title directed readers to go to my blog right now.

--Michael

Dr. Virago said...

I will confess, though, that I thought it was mildly funny to link to a post whose title directed readers to go to my blog right now.

Which is why the visitors who did come by all have visit lengths of 0:00. Apparently Dr. Virago speaks and they listen to Michael. Sigh. :)